Saturday, July 7, 2012

Back to School Freebie Countdown: Best of Blogging Advice


Recently I have began following quite a few blogs that are just getting started. I wanted to share some post that have been very helpful in improving the quality and accessibility of my blog. I know that there is still SO much I have to learn but here are a few things that will make your blogging life a little easier. 

1. REMOVE WORD VERIFICATION!!!!!
One of my pet peeves is having to type in those insane word verification formulas when I want to leave a comment. Usually I go ahead and do it because I DO want to be friendly and all but I am gritting my teeth all throughout.

I guarantee once you take it off the number of comments you receive will GREATLY increase! I have only ever had ONE spam comment, and many people have never had one at all.

If you decide NOT to do this, I won't decide to stop following you, this is just a suggestion. :)

Here is the EXCELLENT how - to from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits


2. How to Add the thing that says "You might also like" to your blog post.

You may notice that at the bottom of this post there are references to my past postings. If you want to add this widget it is SUPER easy. I mean it, like really easy. Visit Fun in First for the Tutorial.



 3. How To Add a Link to Your Blog in When You Leave a Comment

I would say that this tip was one of the most helpful in gaining followers for my blog in the beginning. I would leave a nice comment on someone's blog and then others could simply click on the link to come check me out. There is a great tutorial for this on Ladybug Teacher Files. She also has a tutorials page that has a ton more blogging tips.

4. Get a Blog Design
Like it or not, unless you are a talented digital designer, you will probably at some point want/need to pay someone to design your blog for you. Looking at everyone's pretty designs will eventually wear you down. Let me first say that I was incredibly RESISTANT to this in the beginning but it was SO worth it.  My design is adorable and makes me happy and more importantly readers seem to take you more seriously when you move away from using the free designs. I used Leelou's freebies for sometime, and still love her designs, but I started getting annoyed that 6 other blogs I followed were using the same design. Anyway, I'll stop ranting and provided you some links to designers that are incredibly AWESOME but also quite affordable.



If you want MY opinion, I think you should go with Creating and Designing. Erin is AWESOME and fast and super nice and gave me everything I asked for and more. I provided the other links because I know that everyone has a particular style they are looking for!

Okay, those are my top four tips. I could post about many, many more but those four tips helped me grow so much as a blogger. :)
I also wanted to comment that I gave away about 70 free products over Thursday and Friday. I was so excited to give back in such a big way. I was also exhausted because I had to stay up late at night sending everyone their free stuff after I got home from my work days. I will probably do something like this again but definitely NOT during my beginning of the year teacher workdays! :)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips, especially #2. I didn't know how to do that before & now I do thanks to you!! :) I'm anxiously awaiting my new blog design too so I can liven things up on my blog. I'm using The Honey Bunch Blog Design & I'm so excited to see what they come up with!!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope EVERYONE follows NUMBER 1. I have to always think about leaving a comment when that awful verification shows up, especially if you want us to enter a giveaway. Leaving 5 comments in a row and having to verify myself every time.... not gonna do it. Thanks for posting this!!!

    Faithful in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tip #2! I was wondering how everyone did that! I will have to add that to my to do list. I actually won a free blog design in a giveaway and awaiting the results!!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for a post, Casey! I just added the Link Within Widget! It was really easy. I hope the beginning of your school year goes well!

    Delighted in Second

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips. I have been thinking about getting my own blog design, I'm just not sure I can afford it right now. I will check out the ones you recommended.

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the dino activity. I know that was a lot of work on your part to send everything out.

    I tried the link within widget and it didn't work :-( It says you also might like and then it's blank. hmm.

    Adventures in Room 5

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! Very helpful. I HATE word verification. I don't have it and had one spammer comment that didn't show up on my page. It was stored under SPAM. My eyes aren't what they used to be. I cannot read those squishy letters. I would say that at least 3/4 of the Blogs I visit have them.

    Going to work on number 2 soon...

    Thanks!
    Firstgradebloomabilities

    ReplyDelete
  8. These tips were GREAT! I have my blog all spiffed up now!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bethany

    The Bubblegum Tree

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...