Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Love Chicken Soup with Rice

I didn't read Chicken Soup with Rice until a few years ago when I was student teaching and I picked it up off of the floor of the third grade classroom. I was immediately, absolutely SMITTEN. My cooperating teacher thought I was crazy, I literally read it everyday until she gave it to me! I loved the simple rhythm. I couldn't believe that I hadn't read it before. When I was a kid I read like a fish swims.This school year I found out that there is a SONG. (Some of you are going DUH, but I just learned this so give me a break!) My kids and I sing it sometimes just for fun.


I grew up with my a copy of Where the Wild Things are in my house. I didn't learn about many of his other books until I was older but that particular book was one that I would read over and over and over and over again. I remembering being a little afraid that the monsters in this book may actually be real and may appear to me in my dreams.

I am so thankful that Maurice Sendak played a role in pioneering modern children's literature which now shows the vast complexity of a child's imagination and mind. Thank you Mr. Sendak.

Today on the playground Jen was telling me about this Stephen Colbert interview with Maurice Sendak. You absolutely must watch, it is hilarious. This is actually part II, I definitely recommend watching part I also.


The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Grim Colberty Tales with Maurice Sendak Pt. 2
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

“But the wild things cried, “Oh please don't go- We'll eat you up- we love you so!”
― Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are

4 comments:

  1. i love your background... im your newest follower....drop by

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me how to make the cute bracket shape you have made in your sale sign?? I can't figure it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen Colbert is the love of my life, and I super loved this interview when it was on! I love that you embedded it!!!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...