Sunday, February 12, 2012

Renaming & Three Linky Parties!

Do any of you other second grade chicks feel like renaming is one of the hardest things that you teach all year? I mean it is easy to  understand that 20 can be 2 tens or 20 ones. But it is really difficult to model that 732 is 7 hundreds 3 tens and 2 ones or 73 tens and 2 ones or 7 hundreds 2 tens and 12 ones . . . . . . . I feel like my kids are not ready for this concept and we don't have enough base ten blocks to model numbers that big!

That being said, teach on we must because it is on our state assessment. I have created a few games to help your little Sweetarts practice renaming numbers.  Check them out at my Teachers Pay Teachers store! Each of these awesome games are only $1.00! :)

Also . . . Just for being a follower and making it this far in my post I will send you one of these for free. Your choice, just let me know and leave your e-mail address in the comments! :) 

AND . . . . I just found this cute blog 3rd Grade times, it is decorated for Valentines like mine! She is having a book linky party. She wants us to share a book that we love to read to our students. AND . . . I also discovered awesome blog Learning With Mrs. Parker who is having a Dr. Suess linky party . . . sooo I am going to knock out two linky parties out with one post!

My pick is Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Suess. There are not enough words to express how much I LOVE THIS BOOK, so JUST READ IT! The copy that I read to my students is the copy I had as a little girl. It has my name written in my childish scrawl AND water damage but I love it anyway. Horton is faithful, and patient and kid and all kids of awesome. And . . . its one of those great books where there is a repeating sentence . . . An elephants faithful 100%!
 And . . . . I am also linking up with Jeannie at Kindergarten Lifestyle. Here is my "You know you're a teacher when . . . "

15 comments:

  1. It takes me about 3 minutes to eat. If I think it takes longer - then I don't take it!

    Thanks for joining my linky party!! I am following!

    ✿~jeannie~
    ­Kindergarten Lifestyle

    Kindergarten Lifestyle Facebook Fan Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! So true and it has to be eaten while walking swiftly down the hall!

    Misty @
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny about the lunch! I always factor in how long a frozen lunch takes to cook in the microwave before putting it in my grocery cart!!

    I would like to try the pirate renaming game, please! :) I think it would be good for my kiddos.

    ~Jen at
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pirate renaming game! Thank you! =)

    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 
    ebuckler@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. T., I'm awarding your blog with the Liebster award! Please hop over to my blog for more details.

    ~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the "you know you're a teacher when..." I'm a student teacher this semester and I certainly think of this now that I am in the schools everyday! Lunch is just way too short!! :)

    --Emily
    Ms. Emily Shell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog, I'm your newest follower. I can so relate to "You Know You're A Teacher When..." Great ideas for a game.
    Mechele
    Barrow's Hodgepodge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only have 30 min for my lunch and sometimes I'm doing other things so that food gets wolfed down! haha. I'm am not a new follower! :)

    Sarah
    funintitlemath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for joining my linky party!! I really appreciate it. I know the book, but have never read it to my kids, but you're right there are so many great values, I am going to add that to what I read to my kids! This was exactly the reason I wanted to do this party, thank you so much! Love your game ideas too!
    Love your cute blog design! :) Your "you know you're a teacher" is so funny and so true! Thank you again!
    Have great night and a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only imagine your agony over teaching place value! It is such a hard concept for some.

    Thanks for joining my linky party. Horton is my favorite Dr. Seuss character. I just love Horton's compassion towards others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower. I love the pirate renaming game! meredith.mitchell@nhcs.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am following you and would love to have the renaming unit if possible. Thanks, Diedra jcotphot@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to send you your unit but your e-mail came back to me! I hope that you see this and send me your e-mail address again!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the freebie! I would love to have a copy of the Pirate Place Value. Happy Monday!

    aecouch@greenville.k12.sc.us

    ReplyDelete
  14. The secret to acing this diversion is through accumulation of coins. When you hack metro surfers, make it an indicate go for those coins. subway surfers hack download

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...